1 box (18 1/4 ounce) box devil's food cake mix (Betty Crocker Super Moist suggested)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350Â°.
- Stir (by hand) dry cake mix, oil and eggs in a large bowl until dough forms.
- Dust hands with confectioners' sugar and shape dough into 1" balls.
- Roll balls in confectioners' sugar and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until center is JUST SET.
- Remove from pans after a minute or so and cool on wire racks.
- *My Notes*:.
- I have tried these with several different cake mix brands.
They all come out good, but the Betty Crocker does come out the best.
- I was having a problem with my cookies flattening while
baking. This usually happens with the generic cake mix brands. You can
play with your oven temp and try them on 375 to keep them from
spreading. Adding more oil than called for will also cause the cookies
to spread -- I wouldn't suggest it, they really don't need extra oil.
- Another way to keep them nice and thick and to get the most
"crinkled" or "crackled" look is to make them bigger. When I roll them
at about 1.5 inches they look prettier.
- And my best tip: My confectioners' sugar was consistently
being absorbed by the dough. The last time I baked them, I rolled them
into balls without rolling in the sugar and let them "dry" for a few
minutes. Then I rolled them in sugar and baked. These came out with a
nice coating of sugar that didn't disappear.